Purpose, Mission and ValuesCentral Co-op is a business that belongs to the people who use it – people who have organized to provide themselves with the goods and services they need. Our purpose, mission and values statements reflect the intentions of our membership, the owners of Central Co-op.
OUR MISSIONCentral Co-op is a member-owned natural foods cooperative in the heart of Seattle dedicated to sustainable practices, community accountability, and the local food economy.
Our PurposeThe purposes for which Central Co-op is formed are:
1. To provide wholesome food and products that are produced and distributed in a manner respectful of the earth and its people;
2. To provide educational resources to engage members and empower the community;
3. To engage in the business of buying and selling goods and services according to cooperative principles and values in a financially sound manner; and
4. To engage in all such activities as are incidental or conducive to attainment of the purposes of the Co-op, and to exercise all powers now or hereinafter permitted by the State of Washington for corporations formed under the Miscellaneous and Mutual Corporations Act, Chapter RCW 24.06 as it now exists or may hereafter be amended. In addition to any other rights and powers granted under RCW Chapter 24.06, pursuant to RCW 24.06.032 the Co-op does hereby expressly elect to avail itself of the additional rights and powers granted to cooperative Co-ops under RCW 23.86.105(1), 23.86.160, 23.86.170, and under RCW 23.86.030(1) and (2).(from our Articles of Incorporation, updated by vote of the ownership, October 2013)
Our ValuesWe value:
The Cooperative Principles
- Voluntary and open membership
- Democratic member control
- Member economic participation
- Autonomy and independence
- Education, training, and information
- Cooperation among cooperatives
- Concern for community
Community empowerment, institutional accountability, and personal and environmental health;
Operating our business holistically, recognizing our social responsibility and our commitment to the restoration and health of the environment;
Safeguarding our member-owners' trust by conducting our business in a financially sound manner;
Operating our business on a human scale by honoring the inherent value of the individual and maintaining an open and friendly atmosphere;
Conducting ourselves and our business with honesty and integrity;
Acting responsibly by providing a diverse selection of high-quality, healthful products, by serving as a resource for information, and by responding to the needs of our member-owners and the broader community;
Celebrating diversity by encouraging ourselves and others to act with acceptance and mutual respect.