Welcome to Central Co-op! We're a full-service natural foods grocery with two locations, in Seattle and in Tacoma, open to everyone, 7 days a week.
We're also an independent, democratically-operated cooperative, owned by people who shop and work here, and we're dedicated to sustainable practices, community accountability, and the local food economy.
We source from local farmers and producers whenever possible, and we work to add energy to the good food movement. We're known as a resource for ethically-produced, healthful foods and products, and up-to-the-minute information about personal and environmental health.
Visit our stores and here's what you'll find:
- Helpful staff and great prices
- Gorgeous organic produce
- Organic, local, and raw milk and dairy products
- Extensive selection of natural supplements, herbs, bodycare, and homeopathic remedies
- Wild and sustainably-harvested seafood (16th & Madison, Seattle) and sustainable meats
- Full-service deli with house-made dishes, fresh juice, and coffee bar (16th & Madison, Seattle)
- Extensive bulk foods section
- Fair Trade and non-GMO products
- Foods for special diets—vegan, raw, gluten-free, paleo, and more
- A democratic organization that's engaged with our community
You can own this grocery store!
Anyone can join Central Co-op and become an owner, and be part of our community-driven grocery. Central Co-op owners get personal and collective benefits from co-owning and supporting a successful independent business that's rooted in our community, and ownership is affordable.
But you don't have to be an owner to shop! Central Co-op is open to everyone.
So what sets us apart from other grocers?
In this age of mass-produced food and economic inequality, Central Co-op continues to hold a place not occupied by conventional food retailers.
We provide our communities with good food at great prices, while aligning with grassroots organizations to support the well-being of our community. We strive to improve our community's access to the nutritious, sustainably-produced food it needs, through our owner benefits, thoughtful pricing programs, and community activities. Through strategic sponsorships and partnerships, we seek to bolster our regional food economy. And through our worker and consumer ownership and strategic collaboration with other cooperatives, we promote cooperativism around Puget Sound and beyond.
The Twelve Central Co-op Principles
Co-ops share vision and culture! Central Co-op is guided by the following twelve principles. The first seven are based on the International Cooperative principles, followed by most co-ops, and the additional five were adopted by Central Co-op in late 2015.
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Governance
- Member Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training, and Information
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community
- Concern for Ecosystems
- Concern for Workers
- Skilled Cooperative Management
- Strategic Leadership
- Innovative Culture
Like the sound of all that? Join the Co-op!