If you’ve ever wanted to co-own a democratically operated, values-driven business, ownership may be for you.
In a co-op, each owner provides capital by purchasing a share (or paying into their equity investment). Capital allows us to purchase inventory and equipment, finance operations, and minimize outside debt.
Ownership at Central Co-op costs $60. This one-time investment provides the co-op with needed capital and gives the legal owner the rights and responsibilities of ownership. Payments can be made for as little as $5 a month. And there’s no risk. Co-op equity is an investment, so it’s fully refundable. Join now.
Beyond economic benefits, member-owners get to feel good about supporting a local, independent business, guided by the needs of the people it serves.
The co-op offers free membership for those who are homeless, unable to make a reasonable income due to physical or mental challenges, or existing on a restricted income due to age, veteran status, job loss, or other financial hardship. In this way, the co-op gives everyone an accessible way to join. For more information about exempt membership, see our Frequently Asked Questions, or contact owner services.
Upon joining, owners are eligible to:
- Vote in board of trustees elections and upon policy (excluding exempt members)
- Run for a seat on the board of trustees (excluding exempt members)
- Receive our bi-monthly newsletter, Central Register
- Receive Co+op member advantage pricing at other North American food co-ops
- Receive 10% off one full shopping trip per month--ask your cashier to apply your monthly discount at the checkstand
- Receive 5% off purchases all day on owner appreciation day, the second Wednesday of each month (not applicable to exempt members)
- Receive 5% off purchases all day on exempt member days, every Tuesday (not applicable to vested owners)
- Central Basics sales pricing on organic fundamentals
- Receive discounts at local businesses enrolled in our Central Business Partners program
- 5% off Central Co-op branded supplements
- 10% off books, excluding blank books and calendars
- Admission to Central Co-op Movie Night (see our events calendar for more information)
- Stay informed by attending board of trustees meetings and reading the Central Register
- Vote and/or run in board of trustees elections and direct and vote upon operational policy
- Promote Central Co-op within your communities
- Duly inform the cooperative of changes to your membership information
- Communicate your ideas, concerns and suggestions